A fort was needed on the North Loup not only to protect the white settlers, but the friendly Pawnee as well. The Pawnee Reservation near Genoa was raided periodically by their traditional enemies, the nomadic Sioux. Another influencing factor was the abandonment of Fort Kearny on the Platte River to the south. General E.O.C. Ord, famed Civil War soldier, led the detachment that selected the site for the new fort. Construction began in the fall of 1874 and cost S110,000. The nine major buildings at Fort Hartsuff were built of concrete, since ample supplies of lime and gravel were available locally. This contributed greatly to the ability of these structures to survive the passage of time. All original lime/concrete buildings have now been restored.