Gunpowder Falls State Park
2813 Jerusalem Rd.
Kingsville, MD 21087
State Park: Bike, Birding, Fish, Hike, History, Horse, Picnic, Walk, Water Sports
Established in 1959 to protect the Gunpowder River and the Big and Little Gunpowder Falls, Gunpowder Falls State Park is now one of Maryland’s largest state parks. Comprised of over 18,000 acres in Harford and Baltimore Counties, Gunpowder’s narrow corridors host a varied topography ranging from tidal wetlands to steep and rugged slopes. Gunpowder features more than 120 miles of multi-use trails, protected state Wildlands, historic sites, fishing, kayaking, canoeing, a swimming beach and a marina.
Gunpowder Falls State Park is divided into six areas:
1. Hereford Area, located in northern Baltimore County, east of Prettyboy Dam, is ideal for hiking, fishing, canoeing/kayaking, and includes the popular Mill Pond Cottage.
2. Torrey C. Brown (TCB) Trail, a 19.7-mile multi-use surfaced rail-trail extending from Ashland, MD to the Pennsylvania line, was inducted into the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy’s Rail-Trail Hall of Fame in 2015.
3. Sweet Air Area, comprised of land in both Baltimore and Harford Counties, is popular among hikers and horseback riders.
4. Central Area, encompasses both the Little and Big Gunpowder Falls and is historically the oldest part of the park. It is an ideal area for hiking, mountain biking and horseback riding. This area includes the Jerusalem Mill Historic Village.
5. Hammerman Area, located in Middle River, offers picnicking, pavilions, playgrounds and a swimming beach.
6. Dundee Creek Marina, also located in Middle River, offers boat launching, wet and dry slips, boat rentals, fuel and a marina store. It is located near the Dundee Creek fishing area and archery range.