Klamath Marsh Refuge was established in 1958 when approximately 16,400 acres were purchased from the Klamath Indians with Federal Duck Stamp Funds. In 1990 and 1998, additional acquisitions boosted Refuge acreage to 40,646. Originally designated as Klamath Forest National Wildlife Refuge, the Refuge was recently renamed as virtually all of the historic Klamath Marsh now lies within Refuge boundaries. This large natural marsh provides important nesting, feeding, and resting habitat for waterfowl, while the surrounding meadowlands are attractive nesting and feeding areas for sandhill crane, yellow rail, and various shorebirds and raptors. The adjacent pine forests also support diverse wildlife including great gray owl and Rocky Mountain elk. During summer months, opportunities to canoe in Wocus Bay allow wildlife observation and great scenery.