Point Sur has been a navigational landmark throughout history and the nearby coastline has been the site of several renowned shipwrecks. The park, with an active US Coast Guard light station, sits 361 feet above the surf on a large volcanic rock. First lit on August 1, 1889, the light station has remained in continuous operation. Four lighthouse keepers and their families lived at the site until 1974 when the light station was automated. Today, the buildings are being restored as a complete turn of the century (1889-1929) light station.