[RoyalSlider Error] No post attachments found.
Prospect Gardens Park
10940 S. Prospect Ave.
Chicago, IL 60643
Botanical Garden: Picnic, Walk
In 1872, when developers were platting the early suburb of Morgan Park, they set aside nearly three acres of property on Prospect Avenue as parkland. In 1905, the Village of Morgan Park transferred the property to the Calumet Park District. In 1906, the Calumet Park District officially designated the park, originally known as Prospect Park, Prospect Gardens. The District adopted a park plan designed by noted landscape architect Jens Jensen; among Jensen’s creations was a lily pond begun in 1909. The Chicago Park District took control of Prospect Gardens in 1934, when the 22 park boards were consolidated into a unified district.