The site was purchased for public enjoyment of the marine shoreline and as a public heritage site featuring landscape features and structures from prehistoric times and the early 1900’s. The purchase secured a critical 16-acre tract within the South Chuckanut Bay Greenway, connecting 23 acres of public land around Teddy Bear Cove Park with over 155 public acres adjacent to the mouth of Chuckanut Creek. Along with the headlands and tidelands the public also acquired the buildings of the estate and the Ray Lee boathouse. At the time of the land purchase the City of Bellingham also set its sights on encouraging creative use and preservation of the Farm’s buildings. Its prehistoric resources are being researched and protected with the assistance of Western Washington University and others.